Hello Rod – some tips re: places to visit from friends who’ve been to Tuscany:
· Arezzo - We loved Arezzo and visited it at least 3 times. The restaurants under the colonnades are great for lunch. We went to the Antiques Fair that is held there each month (I can't remember if it is the 1st or last weekend of the month). Even Mike was impressed and he hates shopping! The big thing there are the Piero frescos. Take look at http://projects.ias.edu/pierotruecross/piero.htm
· Saturnia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturnia the springs/waterfalls are on the right hand side of the page and were free when we went (hopefully still are) and absolutely fantastic. Saturnia is approx 2.5 hrs drive south of Arezzo
· Sorano – fantastic hilltop town, paid 80 euro cents for coffee with a view off the cliff edge to the tombs in the rock face below. An old fortress provides some amazing views.
· Sovano – great old church. Somewhere down here there was a great Etruscan necropolis which we visited
· Montelcino – less crowded that Montepuliciano, but both great.
· Sienna and its Duomo – fantastic!